Friday, October 3, 2014

Elaine Gates Recap

I thought listening to Elaine Gates was very beneficial.  I learned many new techniques on how to take portraits that I had never heard of before.  For example, I liked how she said that she will model the pose that she wants the subject to do for them, instead of just telling them to do it.  Elaine said that the pose will turn out less awkward if it is demonstrated first.  Also, I learned what times are the best to take portraits outside.  Elaine further explained that you can get the best lighting when the subject has the sun directly behind their head.  Another technique I learned is that you should photograph someone who is actually interested in getting their picture taken.  If you take pictures of someone who doesn't, then you will be able to tell within the pictures that they don't want to be there.  My favorite thing that she taught us was that if you want someone to give you their real smile, then just ask for a serious face, and most of the time they will burst out laughing.  Overall I really enjoyed listening to what she had to say and will definitely use the advice she gave us when taking portraits.

No comments:

Post a Comment